Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Review: Lore: Tales of Myth and Legend Retold by Brinda Berry, Karen Y. Bynum, Laura Diamond, Jayne A. Knolls, Theresa DaLayne, and Cate Dean

Lore: Tales of Myth and Legend Retold by Brinda Berry, Karen Y. Bynum, Laura Diamond, Jayne A. Knolls, Theresa DaLayne, and Cate Dean

A collection of six folklore retellings that will twist your mind and claim your heart.

SHIMMER: A heartbroken boy rescues a mermaid... but is it too late to save her?

BETWEEN is about a girl, a genie, and a ton of bad decisions. 

SUNSET MOON: Eloise doesn't believe in Native American magic--until the dreamcatcher spiders spin her down an unknown path.

THE MAKER: An incapacitated young man bent on revenge builds a creature to do it for him.

A BEAUTIFUL MOURNING: The story of a Maya goddess torn between duty and love, and the ultimate sacrifice she must make to achieve true happiness.

THE BARRICADES: When a human girl risks everything to save the life of an Eternal prince, will their feelings for each other change the world they know, or tear it apart?


 
Pages: 294
Format: Ebook (only)
Published by: Sweet Biscuit Publishing LLC
Genre: YA

Overall Rating:

 
Reviews:
Shimmer: ✮✮✮
This story revolved around the love between a human boy and a mermaid who longs for more than what she has. I loved Cora's feisty spirit and Draven's persistence in wanting to help her. I loved the relationship between them, but I was not too fond of how the book ended. Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible ending, but I would have preferred if it had ended a different way than how it had ended. Overall, it was a cute quick read with enjoyable characters.

Between: ✮✮
I was not a huge fan of this one, just because I felt like there was a lot left unexplained and I just kept think, "What does that even mean?", or "Why is this relevant?", or "What does this do to add to the story?",  but it was still a quick read. I also found myself just overall frustrated with the main character, I couldn't connect with her (I did at times feel bad for what she was going through though) and it kept me from fully enjoying the story. I did like the description of the djinn (or a genie for those who don't know the term we got genie from). The only person that I actually kind of liked was Sienna because nothing she did within the story irked me, and she seemed like the kind of person who genuinely cared about those she claimed to care about.

Sunset Moon: ✮✮✮✮
Scarlet Moon was a fascinating story with very well-written characters. It was a quick read that held my attention from the beginning until the end. It would have been nice to see Eloise have an amazing ending with all her issues resolved, but I will have to settle for the wonderful ending that had occurred. I enjoyed Ms. Wren and Ms. Morgan, but who wouldn't? Ven - Eloise's "love interest" - I wouldn't necessarily call it love because they had just met, but he was a pretty amazing character who wanted to help her without even knowing her.

 
The Maker: ✮✮
I couldn't get into this book and maybe that's because I'm not really into revenge (although I do understand why he was driven the way he was), it just felt lacking in my opinion with no real attention-grabbing point at all. I did like the myth involving the golem because it's not something that I normally read when I pick up a book, so that was refreshing to read.
 
 
A Beautiful Mourning: ✮✮✮✮
This story was beautiful and sweet. The characters were enjoyable, and I loved all but Nacon. I really wished I could have been in that story to shake him, and let him know that men don't own women!! The ending torn my heart to shreds, but it was also a satisfying ending.

The Barricades: ✮✮✮✮✮
This story was fascinating, and hard to put down. It was a borderline forbidden romance that bloomed between the two main characters that was sweet and adorable. The characters were very well written, and instead of there being a damsel in distress there was a prince in distress. I definitely enjoyed that little switch up, because usually it's the opposite. The ending was great, and this story was a great choice to conclude this anthology.

No comments:

Post a Comment