Friday, November 14, 2014

Review: Strangelets by Michelle Gagnon

Strangelets by Michelle Gagnon

17-year-old Sophie lies on her deathbed in California, awaiting the inevitable loss of her battle with cancer…
17-year-old Declan stares down two armed thugs in a back alley in Galway, Ireland…
17-year-old Anat attempts to traverse a booby-trapped tunnel between Israel and Egypt…

All three strangers should have died at the exact same moment, thousands of miles apart. Instead, they awaken together in an abandoned hospital—only to discover that they’re not alone. Three other teens from different places on the globe are trapped with them. Somebody or something seems to be pulling the strings. With their individual clocks ticking, they must band together if they’re to have any hope of surviving. 

Soon they discover that they've been trapped in a future that isn't of their making: a deadly, desolate world at once entirely familiar and utterly strange. Each teen harbors a secret, but only one holds the key that could get them home. As the truth comes to light Sophie, Declan, Anat, and the rest must decide what to do with a second chance at life—if they can survive to claim it.

 
 
Pages: 288
Format: Ebook (also in Paperback, Hardcover, and Audio)
Published by: Soho Teen
Genre: YA Post-Apocalyptic + Mystery
 
Rating:
4 stars
 
Review:
Michelle Gagnon has written an amazing post-apocalyptic/mystery story that had me guessing throughout the book about what was going on. I was caught on the synopsis of this book, and when I finally opened it up to read, I was not disappointed. The description of the future where Anat, Declan, and Sophie end up is very descriptive. The details in this novel were fantastic. I could imagine everything from the world down to what exists in the world. I loved Declan and Sophie, and the way their relationship developed over the course of the novel. I don't know how I felt about Anat, one moment I would like her and the next I couldn't stand her. Even so... all three of these characters were fantastically written. Along with the other three characters helped move the story along nicely. I must say that Yosh was probably my favorite secondary character in the novel because she was so intriguing with how she added to the story. I liked the ending, although I had one lingering question after I turned the very last page that was never really answered (or even mentioned again after it's one brief appearance).

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves a mystery novel with a mostly post-apocalyptic setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment