Thursday, January 9, 2014

Looking for Chilling Reads to Keep You Up at Night?

Last year, I read an amazing book by Ransom Riggs. This book had a haunting tone to it right from the beginning with eerie pictures to go along with it as you read. Excluding the sequel, I never though I would get my hands on another book just like it. Madeleine Roux did not disappoint with her latest book that came out near the end of last year. It was slower than the book by Ransom Riggs, but I felt way more drawn to that story line than Rigg's book, and the pictures in this book were less eerie than the ones in Rigg's book. If you like books that are creepy and keep you guessing with twists and turns after flipping almost every page, I definitely recommend picking up both of these books! Roux's book involves a group of three friends who are at a college program that is hosted at what used to be an insane asylum, while they are on summer break from high school. The characters are phenomenally written. I loved that it was easy to feel what Dan, the main character of the book, is feeling. Not knowing who to trust or what to believe. This is one of the few books that I would think something, and then double-guess myself based on new information that was presented. In the end, some of my assumptions ended up being correct, while others weren't right on the mark, and some of my thoughts and questions were left unanswered, hopefully to be answered in the second book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment